Saturday, June 29, 2013

Rosemary garlic bread

Today I am in one of those homecooked food kind of moods. I want delicious food on pretty plates, while I stay inside on the hot day. Temperatures are reaching 120 in Phoenix, and it's just too hot to even step outside. I like to fill my days with baking or cooking on days like this, and today I was craving bread. A crunchy crust, soft inside, herby bread. 
I have a rosemary plant in my front yard, so stepping outside was easy enough for me. 
When the bread was done cooking, the whole hose smelled of warm, garlicky deliciousness. 

Recipe: 
3 cups flour
Active dry yeast
3 cups warm water
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Chopped rosemary 
1 teaspoon sugar

Add the sugar, water, and yeast into a bowl. Stir together and let it sit for 5 minutes until it foams. 
In a seperate bowl, add the flour, garlic powder, rosemary, and salt. When the yeast has foamed, all the water and whisk all together until you have a slightly sticky dough. Put a wet, warm towel over and let it rise for one hour.
After its risen, flour the surface you will work on and add the dough, molding it into the shape you want. I did a round loaf. 
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees, and put the bread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. 
Put a cup of water along side the pan in the oven to keep moist. 
Cook until knife comes out clean, usually 40 minutes or so.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment